Hey guys, today’s post is a bit different than our usual posts. Today I am going to show you top 47 Photoshop interview questions that are asked in interviews. The best part is that I will personally answer each of them in 2 sentences. Interviewees are busy people and they don’t like big answers. Then can judge your skills within your first 2-3 sentences.
1) What is Adobe Photoshop?
It is a computer software to edit and manipulate images which is created by Adobe. It was launched as a computer software but recently launched as mobile application also.
2) How can you re-size the image in Photoshop?
Go to Image>Image Size to resize the image. You can also press Cmd+Shift+I/Ctrl+Shift+I to resize the image.
3) What is a Gradient in Adobe Photoshop?
The gradient is a series of 2 or more colors that transition from one color to another.
4) What are the Photoshop’s work areas?
Tool bar, option bar and dock.
5) In Adobe Photoshop how you can print the grid?
Create a grid first and save that as an image. Now, put that on the image and print the image.
6) What is resizing images and what are the parameters to change the size of the picture?
Changing the dimension of an image is called as resizing. The most important aspect before resizing is to check the type of image. If it’s a vector then it doesn’t matter. It will adapt to the new size. If it’s a raster image, then you need to choose the correct sampling before resizing.
7) In Photoshop, what is a smart object?
In Photoshop CS2 and above, it has a special layer known as Smart Object Layer. Smart objects give freedom to work with multiple copies of a single object. All the multiple copies will be updated simultaneously when a single object is updated. Also, changes in the adjustment of layers and layer styles of a single object can be done without affecting the multiple copies. Without any loss in pixel, pixel-based objects can be changed several times.
8) How do you organize layers in Photoshop?
By dragging and dropping. You can also put the layers into a group by pressing Cmd+G/Ctrl+G.
9) How can you unlock the background in Photoshop?
Double click on the layer.
10) How do you select an exact color?
Grab the Eyedropper tool. Choose the sampling to “Point Sampling” and click on the color.
11) What is the difference between PSB (Photoshop Big) and PSD (Photoshop Document)?
PSD is for smaller files and PSB is for larger files. PSD supports 30,000 by 30,000 pixels while PSB supports 300,000 by 300,000 pixels.
12) What is the healing tool?
Healing tool is used in Photoshop to hide the unwanted spots or pictures that appeared in your original picture and makes a picture look like real without any changes. Photoshop uses “Content Aware” algorithm for this tool.
13) Can you use a bamboo tablet in Photoshop?
Yes, you can use a bamboo tablet in Photoshop. You can also use its pressure sensor in Photoshop.
14) How can you reduce noise in an image?
Go to Filter>Noise and choose the appropriate options.
15) How to create an artistic border?
Select an image. After that, add a layer mask to a layer pallet then select filter-> brush strokes-> sprayed strokes.
16) What is a Gaussian blur?
Gaussian blur blurs the image as well as edges.
17) What are swatches palettes?
Photoshop provides two palettes for selecting color,
- Swatch Palettes
- Color Palettes.
Some specific colors can be used without remembering the numeric color values. Also, colors can be extracted from an available image. Default swatches and custom swatches are also an additional option for the users.
18) What are Lasso tools and name them?
Lasso tool is a selection tool.
- Simple Lasso Tool
- Polygonal Lasso Tool
- Magnetic Lasso Tool
19) With the help of spin software how you can make 3D sphere?
To make 3D sphere, select blur from filter menu and click on radial blur. Select spin option in the blur method section, you can increase or decrease the amount of spin by dragging the slider.
20) How to create a transparent background in Photoshop?
Create a new layer at the very bottom. Don’t fill that layer with anything. That’s the transparent background.
21) What is Clone tool?
Clone Tool copies pixels from the source to the target.
22) How you fix the blurry images in Photoshop?
You can sharpen the image using sharpening tool.
23) What tool can you use to combine images?
Combining two or more images is not done with the help of a single tool. One needs to use multiple tools, blend modes, and filters to combine two images.
24) What is a Bezier curve?
It is a mathematically defined curve used in two-dimensional graphics applications. It is defined by four points, the initial position, two middle point positions and a terminating position.
25) How does Red Eye tool work?
Red-eye tool detects red-eye eye and removes it by sensing the pupil size, color, and its surrounding.
26) Explain what is PostScript and showpage command?
PostScript is a page description language developed by Adobe Systems. It is a language for printing documents on laser printer, but it can also be used to produce images on other types of devices.
Showpage command transfers the contents of the current page to the current output device.
The main function of showpage is
- It executes the endpage procedure in the page device dictionary
• Executes the function equivalent of an initgraphics operation, reinitializing the graphics state for the next page
• In page device dictionary, it executes the beginpage
• If the Boolean result returned by the EndPage process is true, transmits the contents of the page to the current output device and performs the equivalent of an erasepage operation, clearing the contents in preparation for the next page.
27) Define what is the meaning of a Path?
At its simplest a Photoshop path is a line with anchor points at either end. It can be a straight line or it can be curved, depending on how you create it.
28) Explain what is Photoshop Lightroom?
Photoshop Lightroom is a software created by Adobe that is used for editing the image. You cannot do complex tasks like combining two images in Lightroom.
29) Explain how you can import photographs in Lightroom from hard-drives?
When you start Lightroom, it automatically ready itself for immediate import as soon as you connect an external storage device to your computer. But it fails then you have to follow the steps below.
- First select the source to import images file form
- Second step includes selecting files which one you want to import
- Once you select the files, you have to specify the method of import for example like Copy as DNG, Copy, Move , Add etc.
- The last step is to choose the destination to copy files to, file handling options and meta-data setting. This step is little longer than other steps as it includes other steps like file handling, file re-naming, apply during import etc.
30) Explain how you can create a Diptych?
To create a Diptych
- Go to “Print” module under the main menu
- Under layout style select Custom Package
- Now under Rulers, Grids and Guides , check and uncheck the options as per your requirement like page grid, rulers, image cells, dimensions etc.
- After that adjust other settings like file resolution, custom file dimensions, JPEG Quality
- Now you can drag and drop the images on your film strip onto the blank page and arrange them
- When done, choose print to file to export your diptych
31) Explain how you can create the HDR effects in Lightroom?
In order to give an HDR effect to photo in Lightroom,
- You have to open the develop module of Lightroom
- First step is to choose tone base
- The tone base will hightlight various settings like shadows, whites and blacks, contrast, clarity, saturation etc. It will set the foundation for the faux HDR effect
32) What color is considered to be blown out?
If the number exceeds 240 in Lightroom, then it’s considered as a blown-out color.
33) Explain how you can fix blown out colors in Lightroom?
Use Local Adjustment Brush to fix the blown out colors.
34) Explain how you can create a Grainy matte effect in Lightroom?
To create a Grainy matte effect in Lightroom , you have to
- Go to “basic” section of the develop module
- Make changes like shadows, clarity or saturation if it requires
- Now go to the “split toning” section in the develop module and make the adjustment to Hue, saturation, balance, hightlight etc.
- And at the last we have to add grain, you can adjust the option like Amount, Size and Roughness
35) Mention what is the shortcut to e-mails photos directly from Lightroom?
36) Explain how smart collection in Lightroom is useful?
Smart collection in Lightroom is useful in
- Finding specific file types
- Smart collections to mark best images and can set up additional criteria
- Smart collections for Aspect Ratio- which means you can see your image in different formats like landscape, portrait and square
37) Explain why filename template is important in Lightroom?
File name template is important in Lightroom because with the file name template you can save lot of information about the image like meta-data of that image, equipment, date, equipment etc. Apart from that, you can also include a custom text field.
38) Explain where you can use file name templates?
File name templates can be used whenever you choose to rename files.
39) Explain how you can assign a keyword in Lightroom?
Lightroom provides the feature to assign keywords to your image. In order to do that
- Select the image you want to assign the keyword
- Under the library option you will see keyword Panel
- Inside the keyword panel you can enter the name you want to assign to selected photos
40) Explain how you can analyze the color tone in Lightroom?
On the top right-hand corner of the library there you can see a histogram. This histogram gives you a fair idea about your image appearance whether it is blown out or suave.
41) Explain how to take back-up of photographs in Lightroom?
To take the back up of your photograph you have to
- Go to Edit>Catalog setting (windows) or Lightroom à Catalog Setting (Mac)
- Click the general tab
- Look for the back-up section
- Look for the back-up catalog menu and select every time Lightroom exits
42) Where you will find the back-up in Lightroom?
When you install Lightroom, the program makes a folder “Lightroom”. This folder contains
- Lightroom catalog
- Files related to the catalog
- A folder named Backups for Lightroom backups
43) With filter options in library what all things you can sort and search in Lightroom?
With the use of filter options, you can sort and search various options like
- File type (JPG, DNG, RAW etc.)
- Lens Model
- Camera Model
- Lens focal length
- Aperture, ISO
- Flash state
- Flag status
- Virtual copies and many more
44) Explain how you can sync edits for multiple images in Lightroom?
Once you have edited the image and you want the same changes in other images as well you can use the function “Sync” at the bottom of the develop panel.
45) In synchronize setting what you should not sync?
While using “Sync” function you must not check the check box for “Brush” option in synchronize settings, as it may distort the image appearance. Even if the image is almost similar never check mark to this option.
46) What does CC mean in Photoshop CC?
47) What do you mean by the term “Flat Image” and is there any advantage of creating a Flat Image?
When all the layers in an image are merged into one layer, such an image is known as Flat Image. When the layers in an image are flattened, all of them are treated as one layer. Flattening an image reduces the file size, due to single background layer only.